“How to choose a chiropractor for my family?” is a commonly asked question.
It is also a big decision. Why?
Choosing a chiropractor is like choosing a hairstylist, masseur, or manicurist. It is closer to choosing a doctor or dentist because these are healthcare (or sick care) related decisions. To get the best outcomes out of your care, you will have to share personal and sometimes even sensitive healthcare information.
Thus choosing a chiropractor for yourself or your family can be a big decision.
Here are 3 key things to consider and our top tips when seeking chiropractic care in Singapore.
3 Key things to consider:
- How do you feel about the chiropractor? (Bedside manner)
- How does the chiropractor practice? (Technique)
- How is the office run? (Everything else apart from the chiropractor)
How do you feel about the chiropractor? (Bedside manner)
- Are you comfortable with him/her?
- Do you trust that he/she has your best interests at heart?
- Is he/she able to communicate and connect with you?
- Does he take time and effort to understand your concerns, needs and goals?
- Do you understand and agree with his/her perspective/philosophy/methods/explanations?
- Are you able to ask questions and are answers satisfactory?
- Do you have a preference for a male or female chiropractor?
The chiropractor should be able to empathise with you and you should be able to relate and open up to him/her. There should be trust and rapport, and both parties should work cooperatively towards a common goal of getting you healthy and well faster, for longer.
Ultimately, the question comes down to “Do you like him/her? Are you willing to be cared for by him/her?”
The choice to start, stop or continue care is always up to you and can change at any point.
How does the chiropractor practice? (Technique)
Now, people have a fixed idea of what chiropractic is like, perhaps from previous care experience or what they see or hear from others or in the media, when in fact there are SO many techniques out there.
And even if a chiropractor says he does X, he may be purely doing X or could be infusing other techniques into his work knowingly or unknowingly, after all, you are paying for his knowledge, expertise and experience.
Some points to consider when it comes to how you would like to be adjusted:
- Would you like low force techniques? Or the “pop” and “crack” type?
- Do you prefer instrument adjusting or by hand only?
- Why did he/her choose to use this technique?
- Do you find the chiropractor competent?
- Is there any supporting research? Any patient testimonials?
- What are care recommendations based on? Does it make sense to you?
- Are they able to care for babies or elderly?
- Do they require x-ray imaging? When? Why or why not?
How is the office run? (Everything else apart from the chiropractor)
These are things that don’t have to do directly with the chiropractor and would include:
- Comfort with the office
- Is it too polished or too shabby?
- Is it comfortable and professional enough for you?
- How is the service? Is it acceptable?
- Do the staff enjoy the work they do? Is there high staff turnover?
- Office procedures
- How do you book appointments?
- How is the office run?
- Would you like to be seen on time?
- Would you be okay waiting when the appointments run behind? What is the longest you can stand waiting?
- Is x-ray imaging required by default?
- What type of care is offered? Active “treatment” care, rehabilitative care, maintenance care?
- Are costs transparent?
- What is the cost per visit, and over the entire plan of care?
- Is there hard selling?
- Do you have the option to pay-per-visit, or choose from a range of care plans?
- What are the payment options?
- Are there monthly memberships, family plans or discounts for special groups (children and elderly etc)?
- Are there different payment options available (installments, Buy Now Pay Later (BNPL) etc)?
- Does the office accept insurance (accident or employee benefits)?
- Is there a trial? Or an ongoing promotion?
- Do they have promotions or tie-ups with organizations/companies?
- Is bartering of services available?
- Where is the office? How long would it take you to get there? How easy is it to get there?
- Can you drop by before work, during lunch or after work?
- Can the whole family incorporate a visit into their weekend excursions?
Understand that these would usually factor into the costs you pay so a good benchmark to shoot for is professional and presentable, but note that the most important thing is the quality of care you get.
And the idea is to pay a fair amount for the services you get. Don’t go for the cheapest or the most expensive, but go for what is the most value-for-money. Calculate long-term costs and not simply cost per visit.
Here are our top tips on how to choose a chiropractor for you and your family in Singapore:
- Ask for referrals from people you trust and love
- Make an informed decision
- Go for the best fit
- Limit your extent of commitment
- Manage your expectations
- It’s okay to change your mind
Ask for referrals from people you trust and love
The people you trust and love are most similar to you and might have a chiropractor whom they have been working with.
Make an informed decision
Read up more about chiropractic in general and the different chiropractic offices available, either offline or online on their website or social media accounts.
Information is more widely available now than ever before. Note that reviews can be incentivised and top ranked websites or ad-focused practices pay a premium for their marketing efforts, which is passed on to consumers.
Go for the best fit
It’s possible that you find a chiropractor that checks all the boxes, but it’s more possible that you don’t find the perfect one. Compare, contrast then go for the best fit.
Limit your extent of commitment
Heard of the term, “fire bullets then cannonballs?” Test then invest by opting for a trial, pay per visit or commit only to small care packages or plans. Don’t make hasty, emotional and large commitments driven by fear and pressure tactics.
Manage your expectations
Everybody responds differently and heals differently to chiropractic care. If you decide on chiropractic care because of what you have heard or seen from family, friends, strangers or the media, even if you have the “same” condition or see the “same” chiropractor, you may not have the same outcomes, much less if you see a different chiropractor.
Many factors come into play when it comes to how your body heals and responds to care.
It’s okay to change your mind
If you tried chiropractor X, and decide at any time that it’s not for you, it’s 100% okay.
Choosing a chiropractor for yourself or your family can be a big decision and should be an ongoing decision.
Choose what you believe is best for yours and your family’s health.
We hope that we have educated you on the options available, and the different types of chiropractic care or practices available in Singapore, as well as some helpful tips when considering a chiropractor for yourself and your family.
A proactive and preventive way to achieve optimum health and wellness.
Health is among our most valuable possessions and Thrive Chiropractic seeks to provide hope, restore health and improve lives through chiropractic. Chiropractic care is suitable for all ages. It is natural, and a less invasive option compared to drugs, jabs and surgery.
Have a specific health problem like pain or headaches?
Feel like you don’t move or function well at work or play?
Feel unbalanced, have poor focus, or coordination?
Have a poor posture or feel stiff?
Feel fine but want to maintain optimum function?
If you don’t look, feel or function well, it could be due to an unhealthy spine. Not correcting a misaligned spine can cause it to worsen over time.
Poor posture and ergonomics are micro-traumas that add up over time and
- impair movement
- speed up degeneration of joints
- cause symptoms like pain
It is frustrating but it doesn’t have to be that way.
We can help you get well and stay well by checking and adjusting your spine and teaching you how to care for your spine. So you can be the best version of yourself and do the things that you enjoy.
Thrive Chiropractic is a boutique chiropractic practice that offers personalised care so you can…
- Reach your health and wellness goals
- Experience optimum function in your spine and life
- Be empowered as you embark on your journey to freedom
At one simple flat rate each visit, enjoy a customised mix of
- chiropractic adjustment
- assisted stretching
- trigger point therapy
- home care recommendations (from stretches to posture and ergonomics)
- and more
designed to meet your needs and get you better, faster, for longer.
We listen. We care. We work. Together.
To thrive in life, start with a healthy spine.
Find out more about our pricing, benefits and offers here:
Book an Initial Chiropractic Visit and get your spine checked today.
Our practice in Lavender is excited to serve the Central-East area and beyond. We also provide offsite visits at your home or workplace for your convenience.
Considering chiropractic care but not sure if it is for you?
Here are links to 2-5 minute animations that help explain the benefits of chiropractic care, for the young to old.
THE BEGINNER’S GUIDE
Curious about what chiropractic care is about and how it works?
WHO SEES A CHIROPRACTOR?
What are the many reasons people give to have regular adjustments?
CHIROPRACTIC & POSTURE
Posture matters more than you think, for kids and adults.
CHIROPRACTIC & OLDER ADULTS
What are the benefits of chiropractic care for older adults?
Did you know? The term “vertebral subluxation” is commonly used in chiropractic and occurs when a spinal misalignment affects the communication between the brain and body. “Luxation” means dislocation, and “subluxation” with the prefix “sub” means “less than” a dislocation.
Sign up to stay updated of new posts
All you Wanted to Know about Chiropractic, but Are Too Shy to Ask.
(Discover all you wish you know about Chiropractic and how it can literally transform your life.)
By submitting your information, you’re giving us permission to email you. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Find out more about Chiropractic!